Born in Vienna in 1982, Dr. Daniel Smolen is the youngest member of our shoulder and elbow team. During his medical studies at the Medical University of Vienna, Dr. Smolen also developed an interest early on in the scientific aspect of medicine, and consequently decided to complete an internship at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. After graduating with the title of Dr. med. in the year 2010, he soon began training as a specialist for orthopedics and traumatology, which he completed in March 2017. During this time, in addition to general traumatology Dr. Smolen focused on shoulder and knee surgery. Besides his specialist qualification, he spent the period working at the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Experimental and Clinical Traumatology. Currently he is also working part-time towards a second, academic doctorate (PhD). His doctoral thesis is on complications in shoulder joint endoprostheses and is being supervised by Professor Heinz Redl, Director of the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute. Dr. Smolen was appointed consultant at the etzelclinic in July 2017.
- Since 2011: ÖGU – Österreichische Gesellschaft für Unfallchirurgie
- Since 2012: AGA – Gesellschaft für Arthroskopie und Gelenkchirurgie
- Since 2014: AGA – Assistenzarztforum (Gründungsmitglied und ehem. Schriftführer)
- Since 2017: AGA – Arthrose Komitee
- Since 2015: ÖGO – Österreichische Gesellschaft für Orthopädie